Suspect in Deadly Louisville Shooting Identified

Louisville, Kentucky, authorities have identified Connor Sturgeon, a former employee, as the gunman who killed five people inside an Old National Bank building. The shooting took place at approximately 8:30 a.m., and officers who responded within minutes found Sturgeon still firing shots.

Louisville Metro Police Department Chief Jacquelyn Gwinn-Villaroel reported that Sturgeon, 23, who live-streamed the deadly event, was armed with a rifle and killed by police.

The individuals who lost their lives in the shooting were employees of the bank, and their names were released as Tommy Elliott, aged 63, Joshua Barrick, aged 40, Jim Tutt, aged 64, and Juliana Farmer, aged 45. Elliott was a dear friend of Governor Andy Beshear, who credited him with helping him build his law career and providing guidance on parenting.

Nine patients were taken to the University of Louisville Hospital, with three of them already discharged. The injured officer, Nickolas Wilt, who was shot in the head, needed brain surgery and is in critical condition.

President Biden expressed his condolences and called for Congress will take action on gun control measures, including safe storage of firearms, background checks for all gun sales, and eliminating gun manufacturers’ immunity from liability.

Attorney General Merrick Garland has been briefed about the shooting, and the FBI is investigating the incident.

Old National Bank said that its executive team, including CEO Jim Ryan, is en route to Louisville. The bank is providing assistance support to employees and affected individuals.

Witnesses reported seeing a man with a long assault rifle opening fire on the first floor of the bank building. One witness reported hearing a “shootout” between the suspect and law enforcement.

While describing the shooting as a tragic event, authorities praised the heroic response of officers and their efforts to save lives.

The Louisville community has rallied together to support those affected by the shooting, and officials are urging everyone to remain vigilant and report any suspicious activity to the police.